Chocolate Fig Muffins
2 cups rolled oats, ground
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup cacao powder
¼ cup coconut sugar
½ cup dark chocolate chips
½ cup almond milk
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoon. chia seeds + 6 Tbsp. water
1½ cups chopped figs (about 5-6 figs, reserve 1 for garnish)
1. Combine chia seeds with water, stir, and set aside.
2. In a food processor, blend rolled oats on high until you have a rough flour. Place in a large bowl. Add all other dry ingredients and stir to combine.
3. In a measuring cup or small bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Stir in the chia seed gel.
4. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Gently fold in the chopped figs. Spoon batter into a lightly greased muffin pan or muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full. Add a single slice of fig on top of each muffin for garnish, if desired.
5. Bake in a 350°F oven for 20-30 minutes (depending on size) until the toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool completely. Enjoy. Store in an airtight container for 4 days, or freeze.